Saturday, June 30, 2007
You wouldn't know this about me. But I am a keyboard shortcut junky.
thanks home dood...
So, I'm rebuilding my sisters horribly virus infected PC this weekend. It's already a decent machine, 2Ghz Intel, 512MB RAM, 60GB IDE HD, DVD-RW. I'm going to back up all her data onto a seperate HD with a 40GB "stuff" partition. And install a dual boot windows XP and edubuntu on the other half.
I wish Windows users would just INSIST on separate system and storage partitions on their personal computers. Windows is too unstable, and it's to much work to back-up and restore their data (7GB of pictures, music and office documents on my sisters home computer). For me, I just put in a second hard-drive, copied the "usual places" over and ran a few searches for misc jpg's and m4p's and the like... but most folks simply can not recover their data if it's on a system partition that has been deeply compromised by a Trojan. Unless they have a "stuff" partition.
Friday, June 29, 2007
Much like the reviewer, I was reluctant to let her go - but I had to sell her. Nikki I barely knew thee. =(
One thing I learned from the sale, you can easily erase all of your stored web passwords on your Nokia 770 by booting up xterm (http://770.fs-security.com/xterm/) and removing the hidden directory .opera in your home folder.
cd ~Yeah it turns out the browser on this thing is good ol opera. I wonder if firefox has been ported. A PDA that I can tweak like a linux box - just heavenly.
rm -R .opera
But it's all good cause I got 8 more on the way.
So I'm going to set some goals for myself. Here's a list of things I would very much like to do to/on/with my Nokia 770. My first Internet Tablet I had named Nikki, like Nokia - but with the hottness. But I had to sell that little girl. So now I have Bilbo, the baddass. I'll update this post as I complete items on the list, and as much as possible link to tutorials of other's or my own.
Things to do to/on/with my Nokia 770
- install screen capture tool (.install, proof) - 7/6
- Connect to a couple wifi spots, learn the connection manager - 6/28
- use it in a real life coffee shop, enjoy the attention - done, and at the movie/music store and many restaurants
- Install DOOM and complete first level – incomplete
- *(installed on 6/28, still trying to get used to touch screen controls)
- Install xTerm and dig around the base linux file structure (screenshot)- 6/28
- post "cat /proc/cpuinfo" on the blog - complete 7/6
- Find a mellow organic green theme, barring that, build one (bg, theme)- 7/6
- Install a SSH Server, use putty to login - 7/7 (tutorial)
- scp file from linux box to Nokia - DONE
- login as root - (howto)7/7
- create new user - 7/9 complete
- Install a VNC Server, use tightVNC to control device from PC - incomplete
- connect it to some manner of bluetooth something - 7/27, connected to k1m
- setup Email Client (gmail, http://tinyurl.com/28ddoe) - 6/28
- copy some mp3's from my PC via usb cable - 6/28
- transfer files to Nokia from my PC over bluetooth - complete 7/30
- Install 1GB+ internal memory upgrade in this thing (may require kernel upgrade) - incomplete
- get a bluetooth keyboard hooked up with this rig - incomplete
- flash with latest firmware to restore to factory default - 12/19/07 (OS2007HE)
- install decent weather applet - 7/9, link
- install decent calender app - incomplete
- chat with my friends on their aim & yahoo accounts (gaim or googleTalk?) - incomplete
- Record some sound of some such via some manor of mic of sorts - 7/16 complete
- make an internet call - incomplete
- establish a vpn tunnel to at least one of the offices - incomplete
- install netcat - scan a few ports on some random unsecured hotspot - incomplete
- install UKTUBE, laugh at the people who just spent $500 on their iPhone – incomplete
- install some sort of emulator, MAME or NES or Gameboy - complete 7/14
- make post to this very blog, from my Nokia 770 - incomplete