Saturday, January 5, 2008

3RLOD Error 0020 X Clamp Replacement

And so, it was my turn:


For a used 360, I'm actually pretty happy it lasted as long as it did. Manufacture date was 2/06 - so there's nothing holding me back now.

Funny thing, this is actually how my FIRST xbox got modded. When it broke, it was out of warranty, so I had nothing keeping me from opening it up. XBMC is the best thing I ever did for my entertainment center.

In this case the interwebz says I need an X-Clamp Replacement - so you know... whatever.

I went with RBJ's MKIII method. Which is extremely well documented, so I didn't really take many pictures. (Update: Last I checked RBJ had taken down his tutorial, which is too bad - I sent him a message. Lamma has a good one up, which is essentially the same thing. However, it should be noted I did NOT buy the kit he's selling - although I'm sure it's worth every penny - you can get the parts anywhere. It's the work of removing the x-clamp, not the tools/equipment you use, that fixes your xbox.)

I used the following hardware from Lowe's:
2 packs - M5-.8x20mm - Oval Head Phillips - Sales # 138573 - $.92 each pack (Qty:2)
2 packs - M5-.8x16mm - Oval Head Phillips - Sales # 138566 - $.68 each pack (Qty:2)
5 packs - 5mm Flat Washers - Part # 138319 - $.56 each pack (Qty:10)


I spent probably more time than I should have cleaning the old thermal paste off the chips & heat sinks. Goo-Gone and 99% alcohol. Then I used a razor to spread a very thin even layer of some generic thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. I just used what I had lying around instead of the "artic silver" stuff everyone talks about.

Drilling the holes in the case was surprisingly pretty easy - I used a 1/4" bit for a pilot hole, then opened it up to 3/8's. Using the tape to hold the bolts in place while I got the board in place also went pretty smooth.

I accidentally screwed the CPU head sink down backward on my first try putting things back together (heat tube AWAY from the GPU) - but once I got everything screwed down... It booted up on the first try - green lights all around.

Been running great for 3 days - posted success.

BTW, I start the new job @ Rackspace on Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I did with the 3RLOD is if the power symbol in the middle is green then just leave the Xbox switched off at the mains and unplugged for the rest of the day. Tomorrow it should be alright

clayg said...

My XBOX is still running perfectly more than ten months later. No problems since. And yours?

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.